About Me

header ads

Firestarter, the system log and Ubuntu: solved

Since upgrading to Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal, I could not see the event in Firestarter. After searching for a solution, the first reference to it found it ,Where he commented on an existing bug:
And proposed a solution to monitor firewall events to the console. Although neither here nor there, now I remember my attempts to have Firestarter running to touch shore, thinking that this was the firewall. Much has happened since then, and now I realize everything I've learned, and all I have left to learn.

If you also make use of Firestarter surely you've encountered the following message when you start it:


The problem is it does not register any events that happen and therefore have no information about what's happening in your firewall.

This morning I read an article that referred specifically to this bug (I forget the website, if anyone has read it, he tells me, I pray for you to quote it, because the merit after all it is, thanks -) and gave the solution. Now to write the post, I headed directly to Launchpad to find this bug, where Keith Taylor provides solution to the problem so simple and effective.

As simple as editing /etc/rsyslog.d/50-default.conf, and change a few lines, from:


to:



The original text is:
#*.=info;*.=notice;*.=warn;\
# auth,authpriv.none;\
# cron,daemon.none;\
# mail,news.none -/var/log/messages
which as you can see is to pad the beginning to leave as a comment. Then you have to remove it, and leave it:
*.=info;*.=notice;*.=warn;\
auth,authpriv.none;\
cron,daemon.none;\
mail,news.none -/var/log/messages
The next step to conclude the problem is to restart rsyslog, for this in the terminal:
sudo service rsyslog restart
That's it. Now, you start Firestarter and no longer the happy message will appear and you will see the events you have come.

Post a Comment

0 Comments