Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Firestarter, the system log and Ubuntu: solved

Since upgrading to Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal, I could not see the event in Firestarter. After searching for a solution, the first reference to it found it ,Where he commented on an existing bug:
And proposed a solution to monitor firewall events to the console. Although neither here nor there, now I remember my attempts to have Firestarter running to touch shore, thinking that this was the firewall. Much has happened since then, and now I realize everything I've learned, and all I have left to learn.

If you also make use of Firestarter surely you've encountered the following message when you start it:


The problem is it does not register any events that happen and therefore have no information about what's happening in your firewall.

This morning I read an article that referred specifically to this bug (I forget the website, if anyone has read it, he tells me, I pray for you to quote it, because the merit after all it is, thanks -) and gave the solution. Now to write the post, I headed directly to Launchpad to find this bug, where Keith Taylor provides solution to the problem so simple and effective.

As simple as editing /etc/rsyslog.d/50-default.conf, and change a few lines, from:


to:



The original text is:
#*.=info;*.=notice;*.=warn;\
# auth,authpriv.none;\
# cron,daemon.none;\
# mail,news.none -/var/log/messages
which as you can see is to pad the beginning to leave as a comment. Then you have to remove it, and leave it:
*.=info;*.=notice;*.=warn;\
auth,authpriv.none;\
cron,daemon.none;\
mail,news.none -/var/log/messages
The next step to conclude the problem is to restart rsyslog, for this in the terminal:
sudo service rsyslog restart
That's it. Now, you start Firestarter and no longer the happy message will appear and you will see the events you have come.
If this article was useful and you want to help us to grow Subscribing to our feed or Click "Like" in our Facebook page ,or follow us via Twitter or subscribing to our feed.

People who read this post also read :



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More