Dear Ubuntu users, here is the announcement that everyone was waiting for: finally official after two alpha and two beta release Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, The distribution to support the five-year one of the most used systems Linux-based.
The new structural (and not) are really a lot I want to spell out the most important not spoil the surprise :) First, here some of the latest versions of core packages of the operating system:
- Linux v. 3.2.12 (kernel)
- X.org v. 7.6
- Xorg server v. 1.11.4
- Unity 2D e 3D v. 5.10
- GNOME v. 3.4.1
- Compiz v. 0.9.7.6
- Libreoffice v. 3.5.2
- Firefox v. 11.0
Also here is some of the most important structural innovations:
- Introduction of HUD (Head-up display), Which allow call the functions of the application menu means a small dash of Unity; The HUD are retrievable and usable pressing the button ALT;
- funzionalmento of new Unity Greeter inside LightDM: the style of the greeter has been totally redesigned, and the background of login screen is now equal to the background user;
- new lenses Unity, Which integrate Video Search also in online services such as Youtube and VimeoIt is possible to search for videos online directly from the dash;
- The media player Rhythmbox replaces the Banshee media player as default application;
- some of the settings are Unity hours editable System Settings -> Appearance, Without the need for use the operator CompizConfig;
- manager CCSM has been redesigned: but not more sliders numeric counters for some settings, and a notice of the opening program (SafeGuard) that warns the user about any potential consequences that the use of the program could have on the system;
- The interfaces of Ubuntu Software Center and Ubuntu One were greatly improved for both graphics and for efficiency of use;
- the tool myUnity is present in the Ubuntu repositories;
- the tool ppa-purge is installed by default on the system ...
And the rest is ... to be discovered!
In addition to the parent distribution Ubuntu 12.04, Were also released X/K/L/Edubuntu 12.04, Ubuntu Cloud Server 12.04, Ubuntu Studio 12.04 and Ubuntu ARM 12.04, for both 32-bit architectures for 64-bit architectures (with the obvious exception for Ubuntu ARM). Will be supported natively PAE chipset (The most recent, predisposed to 'extension of the physical addresses) And downloading the appropriate kernel - although last - Ubuntu can be installed even on chipset NON-PAE (Older ones).
Before leaving the link for downloading the operating system, I want to remind you that you can find a guide to post-installation this page.